Saturday, September 25, 2010

Hip Blog Day Two, Second Entry




On Friday 9/24, I had a 4 1/2 hour "visit" to NE Baptist Hospital, pre-surgery meetings with a series of administrators, doctors, nurses, nurse practitioners, social worker, and physical therapist. Very thorough: what didn't they ask, answer, test, and teach?
A small and highly regarded facility, it's situated at the top of Mission Hill, with beautiful views of Boston and environs for miles around, and patient rooms on the upper floors. A series of older buildings connected by enclosed walkways and tunnels, I felt nicely surrounded by a caring staff. The entrance had the feel of a boutique hotel; the administration was even outfitted in matching black business-like suits and open-collared sky blue shirts/blouses. The comfortable pre-surgery waiting room had a station with complimentary coffee, teas, and a selection of cookies.
Armed with a folder of info , instructions, and a DVD of demonstrations of suggested pre-surgery exercises, I left feeling like all of my fears and concerns had been covered.
I think I'm going to like it here.

Reprinted from www.Actorhubbub.blogspot.com
Entry:"The Robots And Me"


The decades between college and the physically taxing workshop, however, have taken their toll. The abandon with which I thrust myself into the experience resulted in increasing leg and knee pains: I exacerbated a condition I was completely unaware of. X-rays and orthopedics revealed to me and my doctors that I have acute arthritis in my right hip, it's cartilage eroded due to years of working on my feet in just about every job I've ever held, living most all of my life in third and fourth floor "walk-ups", genetics, and possibly from infant hip dysplasia (back in the mid-50's, when I was born, doctors weren't looking at such things). My left hip shows no arthritis, just minor signs of an active life well-lived, but my right hip is basically bone-on-bone. (I was told by my doctor that x-rays show I "have the knees of an 18 year old".)
In retrospect, this explains the minor aches and pains that have been coming on over the past few years. And so, on Wednesday Oct. 6, I'm undergoing total hip replacement surgery at New England Baptist Hospital, the best orthopedic facility in the region if not the country, with Dr. James Phillips , likewise one of the best in his field.

When I told a friend about my hip, he replied "Now you'll have the knees of an 18 year old and the hip of a Robot".
One of my goals in recovery is to be physically sound enough to perform with the opera in March at the Majestic.
I can't wait to work with my Robot brethren.

4 comments:

  1. It's a great hospital. They'll take excellent care of you. You'll be dancing and singing in no time.
    Dossy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how the technology has progressed - these things are so routine now and they really do think of everything. I've had mine done (twice!) since my accident, and I'm so thankful for it.

    You'll do great, and the pain will just be a bad memory. Best wishes, Kevin.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a wonderful hospital.
    You are in my thoughts and my prayers.

    Blessings,
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin, It is a great hospital, and I know you will do well.
    You couldn't be in better hands.
    love,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete