Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Hip Blog Day Six: Part One

What A Gift

I could never fully comprehend how it is that patients, faced with life-altering diagnoses, refer to their condition, status, situation,  as "a gift".

I finally get it.

It's a "stop and smell the roses" wake-up call.  Though there are risks involved, as with any major procedure, a hip replacement surgery isn't really life-threatening. But it's given me pause to reflect.  Time may be on my side in terms of the recovery process.   As these procedures go, I'm on the "young side" of the joint replacement surgeries.  Compared to some, I'm practically the Justin Bieber of the walker and mall-waking set.

But aging in "the biz" brings fears of diminishing opportunities, age discrimination, and not enough time:  "How LONG do I have to do this" and "How long do I HAVE to do THIS?".  I've been juggling hats (and job titles) in this business of show for over thirty years, and success is often measured in dollars and cents, in residential palaces and status-making possessions and property, in corporations, cars, and clothing.
I'm learning to measure mine in friends and relationships, experiences and reputation.  Mine, on reflection, put me right up there on the Forbes List of non-material success (in a material world).

And the gift of inspiration to get off my duff and "Just Do It" (start writing, count my blessings, follow my dream) is worth all of the millions, Mercedeses, and Armani outfits that  I've yet to acquire.

So thank you, arthritic eroded hip.
You're "the gift" that keeps on giving.

2 comments:

  1. I totally get it, Kevin. My surgery was definitely a wake up call. Life is short; take it slow.
    Dossy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin--you're hilarious! But it's true--wake up! My ankle breaking has been a teacher in unexpected ways--yes, of course, to slow down (hard to do), but also to accept the concern and love of your friends. And I wrote a ten-minute play. Who knew? Kate

    ReplyDelete